Monday, February 1, 2010

Week One Reading Reflection - Rethinking High School

In the readings, Chapter 1 from Rethinking High School, I enjoyed reading about the definitions of best practices in high schools. I strongly believe in many of the items that were brought up such as authentic, holistic, and cognitive (higher level) instruction. I am still concerned with the use of standards in high schools, whether national or state, as it seems to have become somewhat of a bad word in the educational community. Although I do understand the necessity, I feel that what a student should know must be based on their specific community, goals in life, and environment that they are in. As far as investigating further, I would like to look closer at examples of those who have put all this theory into practice. As I continue with my Clinical Practice at a new school site, it seems to me that the story is still the same, and that for whatever reason, the school is still very resistant to any major change.

Finally, I loved this quote from the chapter:

"...we've had about eighty years of stasis in American high schools; and we could really use an earthquake."

No comments:

Post a Comment